By Spencer Montgomery, Chicago Blackhawks Youth Hockey Coordinator
The Chicago Blackhawks Youth Hockey Department has created a new program called the Youth Hockey Referee Spotlight. The spotlight highlights two amateur hockey referees from Illinois per month and gives them the opportunity to come to a Blackhawks game and meet the NHL refs prior to puck drop. A photo of the youth referees with the NHL refs will be featured on the Blackhawks website. The impact and contribution of youth referees in hockey is as important as players, and this is a great opportunity to highlight them making a difference.
Featured in the first spotlight are Karch Weyermuller and Shane Gustafson. They attended the game vs the Colorado Avalanche on January 6th.
- Began skating at 6 years old, and played High School Hockey for New Trier
- Played 4 years of college hockey in the ACHA for Iowa
- Currently in 4th year of officiating
- Currently in graduate school at Northeastern in Chicago studying for a master’s degree in special education
- Freshman at Northern Illinois University and working at getting a degree in Kinesiology
- Works Midget and High School games through local Advanced Development Program
- Officiates NA3 Junior games and ACHA Division 1 games through the officiating Development Program
- Goal is to work hard in each game and officiate pro hockey one day