By Jim Clare, Illinois Coach-in-Chief
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program (CEP) require: USA Hockey Registration, Screening, SafeSport Training, Age Specific Module completion and the appropriate Level CEP clinic to be eligible to coach. Why?
The answer is rather simple; the kids deserve it. What do I mean by that? As parents, you turn your children over to their coaches for several hours a week. After parents and teachers, your kids spend more time with coaches than probably anyone else during the season. USA Hockey and AHAI want that experience to be the best and safest it can be. Only properly educated coaches can help in the development of your skaters both on and off the ice. Coaches have a massive responsibility. Most of us remember our coaches; both the good and the bad. The effect they have on players can be immense and with that comes great responsibility.
Coaching Education Program Online Age-Specific Requirements (Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching (cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level) Click here to register for the modules.
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey (cost is $40 plus any affiliate fees). Click here for more information.
- ONLY your club/organization’s Registrar can initiate your Screening. Ask your club to be Screened.
- Complete the USA Hockey SafeSport Training (required every two years and cannot be added to a roster until completed). Click here for more information.
Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31)
- Find, register and attend the required Level CEP clinic. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. Click here for Clinic Schedule in Illinois.
- Contact: email@example.com for answers to any CEP/SafeSport/Screening questions that you may have.
In prior years, the SafeSport Training has been offered through the US Olympic Committee training platform. With the opening of the U.S. Center for SafeSport (the “Center”), the SafeSport training will soon move to a new platform operated by the Center. USA Hockey recently sent an email to let coaches, managers and volunteers know about the transition and how it will affect both first-time users as well as existing USA Hockey members.
- The SafeSport Training and Refresher Training are each valid for two (2) seasons. Thus, if you took the training during the 2017-18 season, it is valid for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.
- As of January 1, 2018, all relevant individuals who need to be SafeSport certified or are seeking recertification will need to complete the new three-course SafeSport training, which features updated content.
- Upon completion of the online SafeSport training, individuals will be certified for two seasons. A new SafeSport refresher course will eventually be added to the platform. This will be an abbreviated version intended for individuals who have previously completed the three core SafeSport courses and need to recertify. Users completing the SafeSport refresher course will be certified for an additional two seasons.
- PLEASE NOTE that you will need your own USA Hockey Confirmation Number or Referee Number and your own email address to access the training. Additionally you will need to access the training from the link provided under “Register for SafeSport Training” found here.