By Jim Clare, Illinois Coach-in-Chief
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program (CEP) require: USA Hockey Registration, Screening, SafeSport Training, Age Specific Module completion and the appropriate Level CEP clinic to be eligible to coach. Why?
The answer is rather simple; the kids deserve it. What do I mean by that? As parents, you turn your children over to their coaches for several hours a week. After parents and teachers, children spend more time with coaches than probably anyone else during the season. USA Hockey and AHAI want that experience to be the best and safest it can be. Only properly educated coaches can help in the development of your skaters both on and off the ice. Coaches have a massive responsibility. Most of us remember our coaches; both the good and the bad. The effect they have on players can be immense and with that comes great responsibility.
Coaching Education Program Online Age-Specific Requirements (Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching (cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level). Click here to register for modules
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey (cost is $46 plus any affiliate fees). Click here for more information
- ONLY your club/organization’s Registrar can initiate your screening. Ask your club to be screened.
- Complete the USA Hockey SafeSport Training (required every year and cannot be added to a roster until completed). Click here for more information
Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31)
- Find, register and attend the required Level CEP clinic. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. Click here for clinic schedule in Illinois
- Contact: Jim Clare, AHAI Coach-In-Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org for answers to any CEP/SafeSport/Screening questions that you may have.
This link serves as a quick reference page to coaching certification requirements: USA Hockey coaching certification page
Categories: Hockey Headlines