By Pam Flores, Metro Girls League Co-Vice President
It is hard to believe, but the 2019-2020 season is close to winding down. All teams are finalizing their regular season and preparing for Metro Playoffs. Results to come soon!
The Elite 8 match-ups for the Girls High School Varsity division have been set. Good luck, ladies!
New Trier vs. Glenbrook
Fenwick vs. Latin School
Loyola Academy vs. Lake Forest
Barrington Girls vs. Upper Fox Valley
Congratulations to all the girls (view rosters) that participated in the 2020 Girls High School All-State game – it was a fun and exciting game! Congrats to Sarah Matthews (Lake Forest High School goalie) on being awarded the annual Terry J. Stasica MVP Award. The game was played on February 10. Enjoy the photos from the fun evening.
CELEBRATING OUR SENIORS
Loyola Academy Hockey Club
Loyola Academy Hockey Club celebrated five graduating seniors on February 9, 2020 when they defeated Latin Varsity 2-0. Those graduating include:
- Kathleen Gorman who has been a solid defenseman for four years on the Loyola team. She will be attending Providence College in the fall.
- Elle Joubert is in her fourth and final season at Loyola. Elle is the epitome of a work horse as well as the heart and soul of the Loyola program.
- Claire O’Shaughnessy has been biggest positive role model on the Loyola team. She also plays for Team Illinois and is one of Loyola’s National Merit Finalists. Claire will attend Dartmouth College in the fall.
- Jayna Park currently plays for the Chicago Mission where she won a National Championship in 2018. She has played four years with the Loyola Girls team and has been selected to the 2020 Illinois All-State Team for the second time. She is a Captain of the Loyola team and will continue her hockey career playing at Amherst College next year.
- Jenna Rekoske also plays for the Chicago Young Americans U19 team and has played four years at Loyola. She was selected to the 2020 Illinois All-State Team for the second time. Jenna is also a National Merit Finalists, and next fall, Jenna will continue her hockey career at Wesleyan University.
Fenwick celebrated three graduating seniors on February 16, 2020 when they defeated Upper Fox Valley 2-0. Those graduating include:
- Ellie Kaiser played for Fenwick all four years in high school and also plays for the Chicago Mission where she was a two-time National Champion. She was also a member of the 2019 Fenwick Metro League and State Championship team, scoring the winning goal and earning MVP in Fenwick’s first ever State title. Next year Ellie will play NCAA Division 1 hockey at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, where she will study Biomedical Engineering.
- Sam Schak was also a member of the 2019 Fenwick Metro League and State Championship team. She played with Fenwick all four years of high school. Next year Sam plans to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University to study aerospace engineering.
- Murphy McFarlane plays left wing and attends York High School. She played with Fenwick during her freshman and senior years. Next year Murphy will study journalism and environmental science. She is student body president, works on York’s news and broadcast publications and the yearbook.
New Trier honored two graduating seniors on February 23, 2020 when they faced off against Latin Varsity. Those graduating include:
- Amy Griffin has been a member of the NT hockey club for four years, two of which on Varsity, and serves as an Assistant Captain for her senior year. She started playing for the Wilmette Hockey Association when she was six years old. Amy was also a Captain of the New Trier Field Hockey team, coming off back to back Ilinois State Championships. She will continue her field hockey career next fall at Middlebury College.
- Claire VanDamme has been a part of the New Trier Girls Varsity team for four years, including the 2018 State Championship team. She is honored to have been chosen as Captain for her senior year. She started playing hockey for Winnetka when she was six years old and went on to play for CYA and Team Illinois for a number of years. She plans on pursuing her passion for design and will be studying Interior Design in the fall.
Latin Romans celebrated six graduating seniors with a packed house when they played Fenwick on January 25, 2020. Latin’s graduating seniors include:
- Lindley McCutcheon, Latin School of Chicago
- Abby Maechling, Latin School of Chicago
- Emma Bratt, Lane Tech
- Charlotte Lawrence, Whitney Young
- Anna Hoese, St. Ignatius
- Gwen Byrne. St. Ignatius
It was an exciting game with a 3-2 Latin win. Senior Emma Bratt was defending the Latin Goal with 15 saves. Latin had 33 shots on goal and the underclassmen had fun making the posters of the Senior girls hockey careers.
Ellie Kaiser Commits to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Ellie Kaiser, a power forward on the Fenwick Girls Hockey team committed to play NCAA Division 1 hockey at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, next fall. She plans to study Biomedical Engineering. Congrats Ellie!
METRO GIRLS ACHIEVING MILESTONES
Caroline Smith breaks Loyola Girls Hockey Record
Caroline Smith is point leader for the third successive year for the Loyola Academy Girls hockey team. The junior forward has tallied 56 combined points from the Varsity and Scholastic divisions in the Metro Girls Hockey League this season. Caroline has surpassed the Loyola Academy Girls Hockey all-time record of 49 points which was held by Valerie Caldwell (2014-15) and Erin O’Connor (2012-2013). Caroline is a multi-sport athlete who also plays goalie for the Ramblers lacrosse team. Congratulations on this milestone Caroline!