Hello Girls’ Hockey Community.
I’m hoping that all of you have been staying safe & healthy during this pandemic. I’m also hoping that you’re enjoying this great hot summer weather we’re experiencing. Pools & beaches may not be open everywhere but there are some real creative things being done in your own communities & around the country…. families are setting up obstacle courses to create their own water slides in backyards to bringing back the outdoor games your parents played when they were young & they didn’t have cell phones, laptops, Xbox, etc.
The purpose of this month’s Girls Snapshot is to shed some light on what the Coronavirus has done to us all & how it continues to impact our everyday lives & sports. I don’t know about you, but I miss watching sports on T.V. & going to games & just being around friends, family, opponents, etc.
For me, it’s softball…. I miss being on the field, holding a bat, seeing my friends & being focused on the game with nothing else on my mind but being in the moment. Whether we’re turning a double play or there is a throw in from the outfield & tagging a runner out or being at the plate & facing down the pitcher who just pitched the perfect ball to hit for a line drive single, there’s nothing better than getting your adrenaline in high gear.
So, what were you doing & what have you begun to do?
A few things to keep in mind while you think about how to answer this question…
- Register now for the upcoming season.
- Volunteers, Coaches, Board Directors, Officials & those 18 years or older must complete the SafeSport course.
- Volunteers, Coaches, Board Directors, Officials must complete the new screening policy on the USA Hockey website.
- Illinois is in Phase 4 & groups that can gather is up to 50.
- Some rinks are open & others are not.
- Does your Organization have standards in place to keep everyone safe & healthy?
- Are you doing your part to stay safe & healthy?
- Did you know you could still workout with your friends & teammates without physically being together?
- Did you know that USA Hockey has several webinars on their website for maintaining & bettering your skills?
- Anything that can be done on the ice can pretty much be done on dry land…. shooting, stick handling, working on your skating stride (rollerblading), core strengthening, eye/hand coordination, etc.
- It’s just as important to keep your mind sharp & your nutrition levels high as it is to work on your physical strength.
Organizations are beginning to practice in small groups & it’s okay if you’re unsure or uncomfortable. Share your feelings & concerns with your parents, your coach and/or any other adult you feel comfortable talking to. It’s understandable & perfectly okay!
Please keep yourself & others safe by following all local, State & CDC guidelines….wear a face mask, wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing. What you do today & everyday benefits you, the people you love & the acquaintances you come in contact with every time you leave your home.
We don’t know what the future, near or far, will hold for sports or school & we don’t know what the new normal will look like. But……. let’s all do our part to be there for each other, help each other & keep each other safe.
AHAI Girls Committee Chair
847.414.5737 | firstname.lastname@example.org