By Pam Flores, Metro Girls League Co-Vice President
Evanston High School
Evanston High School Hockey held its annual Senior Night celebrations recently, and recognized its five graduating Girls Varsity players. Many of the seniors have been with Evanston Hockey since they were 8U players, growing up through its travel and house programs.
EHSH celebrates 5 Girls Varsity Wildkits from the Class of 2021:
Molly Jo Krupkin
“It has been a pleasure to see this group grow up both on and off the ice,” Morris said. “I’m proud of all of them and look forward to see all they accomplish in college and beyond. I know they will represent Evanston High School Hockey and the Evanston community well.”
Fenwick High School
Fenwick High School honored three seniors at the end of the 2020-2021 season in a scrimmage against Evanston, including:
- Makenna Spearman: Makenna attends Trinity High School, and this was her first year playing ice hockey. Next year she will attend either Carthage, Augustana, or Illinois State University and plans to become a middle school teacher.
- Olivia Quick: Olivia attends York High School and played for Fenwick her freshman and senior years and was a member of the 2019 Fenwick Metro League and State Championship team. Next year she will attend Arizona State University and will major in Sociology and Criminology.
- Gianna Stinsa: Gianna has been a member of Fenwick’s defensive core all four years of high school. She attends York High School and was also a member of the 2019 Fenwick Metro League and State Championship team. Next year she will likely study engineering at Purdue University and plans to be either a biomedical engineer or go onto medical school to be a doctor.
Lake Forest Scouts
The Scouts honored six seniors on February 26 in a scrimmage vs. Glenbrook. The Scouts won 4 to 1 and their seniors include:
- Abby Benjamin #13: Abby attends Stevenson High School and was a member of the 2020 Chicago Blackhawk Alumni All-Star team. She is also a National Merit Contended Scholar. Next year she plans to major in biology and play college hockey.
- Lucy Heller #7, Assistant Captain: Lucy attends Highland Park High School and was awarded the Gina Bronge Scholarship. She is a sponsored skateboarder! Next year she will study health and exercise science at Colorado State University.
- Katie Hollander #43: Katie attends Lake Forest High School and in addition to hockey, also plays water polo, is on the swim team and is an Irish Dancer. She plans to major in international business.
- Kerry Hollander #11: Katie attends Lake Forest High School and in addition to hockey, plays water polo, dives, and is in the orchestra. Next year Kerry will study business at Miami University Ohio or University of Colorado Boulder.
- Katey Polovin #19, Assistant Captain: Katey attends Deerfield High School and is an AP scholar with distinction. She also plays varsity lacrosse and next year plans to major in political science on a pre-law track.
- Amy Walker #22, Captain: Amy attends Highland Park High School and is Vice President of Class Council as well as a member of the Spanish Honor Society. Amy plans to study psychology at a University in London.
Loyola Academy honored 4 seniors this year! They include:
- Bryn Jones: Bryn played all four years with the Loyola Girls Varsity Team and has been a solid forward on the Loyola team. She also competes for Team Illinois. She was an All-State selectee in 2020 and was also on the Loyola Academy Freshmen soccer team and a member of the Loyola Track team for the past three years. She is also a National Honor Society Member. Bryn is undecided on which college she is attending but plans on studying Biology and would like to continue playing hockey.
- Nina Riley: Nina started playing hockey at 11 for the Hoffman Estates Wolf Pack. Off the ice, Nina founded the Loyola Film Club and is a member of the Spanish Honor Society, Better Together Club and was a Kairos Leader for the first hybrid Kairos. Nina will be attending either Chapman University or USC to study screenwriting.
- Stephanie Smith: Steph also plays for Team Illinois and played four years with the Loyola Girls team. Besides hockey, Steph also played Freshmen Lacrosse at Loyola. Next year, Steph is going to continue her hockey career playing Club hockey at Miami University and will major in Business.
- Caroline Smith: Caroline started playing hockey at the age of 4 with the Wilmette Braves. She has also been a member of the Chicago Mission since 5th grade where she won two back to back USA Hockey National Championships in 2018 and 2019. She is in her fourth and final season at Loyola. Caroline has been the leading scorer on the team all four years and broke a Loyola Academy Hockey Club record of 66 points in her junior season. She was also selected to the 2018 and 2020 Illinois All-State Team. In addition, Caroline is a four sport varsity athlete. She has been a varsity member of Loyola Girls Lacrosse for four years and joined Varsity Crew and Varsity Field Hockey as a senior. She is a member of the National Honor Society and the French National Honor Society. Next year Caroline will be playing NCAA Division 1 lacrosse at Butler University and will study finance.
To celebrate their seniors, the Warren girls team scrimmaged against Upper Fox Valley. They had a blast, having a short ceremony and then a skills competition for the seniors from both teams. After that they split the teams up and had a fun scrimmage. The seniors they honored include:
- Megan Flesher (Captain)
- Annie Lichter (Assistant Captain)
- Emma Torkelson (Assistant Captain)
- Ruby Aufmann